When you file 1099 or W-2 forms, mistakes may happen (all those numbers and details!) Fortunately, fixing the most common types of errors can be quick and painless. Here’s a handy guide on to how to handle certain corrections on efile4Biz.com.
Understanding the Two Types of Form Errors
First, let's review the typical errors that arise with 1099 and W-2 tax reporting forms:
- Incorrect money amount(s), code or checkbox
- Form filed when one should not have been filed
- Incorrect or no payee TIN (SSN, EIN, QI-EIN, or ITIN)
- Incorrect payee name
- Original filing using wrong type of form (for example, a Form 1099-DIV was filed instead of a Form 1099-INT)
For Type 2 errors, please contact the IRS.
- Incorrect money amount(s), code or checkbox (boxes 1-7)
- Duplicate W-2 forms filed under same EIN and SSN with different Social Security wage amounts. (There are different scenarios for this type of correction, contact our customer service department before submitting a correction form.)
Fixing Errors with Minimal Effort
Now, here’s guidance on how to handle the errors covered above. By doing everything online, you’ll save considerable time and effort.
E-filing a Type 1 correction with efile4Biz:
- If you filed the original form on efile4Biz, log in and go to the Filed Forms page and locate the form for which you need to make a correction. Click on the File Correction link on the line of the form in your Filed Forms page. (Please note: If the link is not showing, you will need to wait until the form is accepted by the IRS/SSA.) If you e-filed the original form on a different website, you will need to go to the Create a Form box on your dashboard and select the correction form from the selection of correction forms presented in the drop down.
- Make the correction
- Resubmit the form with payment
Once you have finished your corrected form check out and select “E-File, Print & Mail” and then we will print and mail a corrected form to the recipient, and e-file the correction with the IRS/SSA.
For W-2s ...
- Log in and go to the Filed Forms page and locate the form for which you need to make a correction. Click on the File Correction link on the line of the form in your Filed Forms page. (Please note: If the link is not showing, you will need to wait until the form is accepted by the SSA.) If you e-filed the original form on a different website, log in and from the dashboard select W-2C from the Create a Form dropdown box.
- Enter in the previously reported amounts on the W-2C and then enter in zeros in the corrected information boxes
- Resubmit the form with payment
For any other Type 1 or Type 2 corrections on 1099s and W-2s, contact the IRS. If corrections are submitted after the IRS/SSA deadline, you may receive a penalty fee.
Corrections After Mailing
You cannot change any information entered into a form once you have checked out and paid for our service until after the IRS has accepted the form. Once the IRS/SSA has accepted the form, you can make Type 1 (dollar amount) corrections for 1099 and W-2 forms. For ACA forms, you can make any needed correction but you must have filed the original with us.
If you submit a correction, remember to select e-file and delivery if you want a corrected copy mailed to the recipient.